Saurav Ganguly’s return to Kolkata on Monday was different from whatit had been in the past
Staff Reporter10-Jul-2001Saurav Ganguly’s return to Kolkata on Monday was different from whatit had been in the past. Ganguly usually returns to the city quietlyand without fuss with only an escort jeep accompanying him on his wayfrom the airport to his home in Behala. Monday was different. He wasgiven the Z-category security treatment as he stepped out from theplane on to the tarmac. There were plain clothes policemen shadowinghis every move. They had to be on their toes as the militant groupcalled Lashkar-Ei-Toiba has threatened to kidnap the Indian captain.All along the route from the airport to the Ganguly residence, therewere two cars packed with black cat personnel accompanying Ganguly. Athome also there were carbine-totting security men. A high level policeofficer said on Tuesday, "We have decided to give Ganguly the Z-category security cover. We are doing so because we have instructionsto do so. Other than that I am not in a position to divulgeanything."Ganguly’s father Chandi however, said that the security cover has beenprovided because of the threat. "The militant group has threatened tokidnap both Sourav and Sachin Tendulkar. So the Central Government hasprovided them with protection." He also informed that it was a newexperience for the entire family. "We have never known what securityis all about. Now we are also realizing the disadvantages of sucharrangements. But we have to accept it. After all, the warnings of themilitant groups cannot be taken lightly." In fact at the Gangulyresidence, three security personnel with stenguns are constantlyguarding the balcony that leads to the drawing room and bed room ofthe Indian captain.Meanwhile, the captain himself felt that the loss of Sachin Tendulkarfor a major part of the one-day triangular series in Sri Lanka wouldbe a great blow. "However, we have to overcome it. Sachin has rarelymissed a match, such is his commitment to the side. So his absencewill be felt. But then I am confident that the juniors will performtheir duties," he said today. Talking about his own form, Gangulysaid that his bad patch was probably over. "I have started scoringruns. In the last few innings that I have played, I have got twoscores over fifty. I hope that I will be able to regain my form fullyin Sri Lanka."The Indian captain also added that his performance in the past hadraised the expectations of the people. "But then I cannot alwaysscore centuries." Talking about his new opening partner, AmayKhurasia, the Indian captain said, "He has scored a lot of runs andhas the ability to make full use of the first 15 overs. I am confidentthat he will do well."